Sunday, October 20, 2013

Birthday Cake Disaster!



Sooooo this past week I've completed an assignment for my Children's book illustration class. We were given a short paragraph from a children's story that we were assigned to illustrate.

Jamie’s mom helped her put the finishing touches on her birthday cake and the house was all set for the party as Oscar slept on the window sill. Suddenly Timmy let the dog out of the basement and the chase was on! Around the living room and under the couch they ran and as Jamie began to cry Oscar leaped right off the cake splattering it everywhere!

 I've posted the development of this piece. I've started to feel a lot more confident about my process this semester. I start with a small thumbnail, I then blow it up and print it out at %50 transparency and then reprint it. I then redraw with more detail over the top of the print out. I do this over and over again, this enables me to make subtle changes each time I redraw my sketch.
In this instance I decided that I wanted to have some fun with the background. So using a sheet of transparency paper, I laid it over my sketch and drew the back ground by itself. When i was finished I scanned it in and laid it into the back ground in photoshop. 







I've been having a lot of fun this semester with my Children's Book Illustration class. I'm enjoying feeling like I'm starting to develop a kind of style.

No comments:

Post a Comment