Monday, June 9, 2014

Elvis Presley

About 3 years ago I changed jobs. I worked as a server for 5 years and finally made my way into an office job. Now I'm an in house graphic designer for a company in Provo, and about 20 pounds heavier than I was when I was serving tables (the only thing I miss is the calories I used to burn during work). Since I started working in an office I found that my music preference changed quite a bit from what I usually would listen to in the car. To explain further, I love music like Radiohead, Bright Eyes, Broken Social Scene ... that's a small list but it represents my taste pretty well. When I would play that music at work it just seemed to demand too much of my attention and I found myself really enjoying simpler music such as Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline, Van Morrison, and Elvis. My brother is always so weirded out by me when i say how much I've come to enjoy listening to Elvis. My favorite song is Jailhouse Rock. There's this amazing combination of restraint and explosiveness that makes me want to jump up and rock out as would any Rage Against the Machine song. Merely the unexpected affect of the song is enough to excite me. As a side note, Patsy Cline has the most beautifully lonely sound on earth and Van Morrison is one of the greatest lyricist of all time (listen to "The Lion this Time").
This evolution in my music taste has inspired my latest piece that was required for my advanced figure drawing class this past semester. We were required to illustrate a caricature of a celebrity of any kind historical or fictional. I hope you enjoy it!


Digital Painting, Photoshop, Caricature, Elvis

No comments:

Post a Comment